[NRVR-Members] Igniter/Match Meeting this past week

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sat Nov 22 21:43:53 CST 2014

Hey all!

Just wanted to share some of the highlights from the meeting this past week.
We were honored to get a very professionally done presentation on high
reliability igniter design (for ground clusters and air starts) by our own Pat
Artis.  I have the presentation if anyone wants a copy (I'll post it to the
site & fbook soon).  Listening to Pat speak though, you can tell that he's a
deep well of decades of useful, expert information. It was really a treat
getting to hear him speak:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202115212362180&l=7214535b95

In a nut shell Pat covered what you need to do to get the statistics of
igniters up to par to ensure your clusters and air start motor ignitions work
every time and you don't lose a $700 bird.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202115218122324&l=6348b63b01

Key info for anyone attempting an L3 or doing complex flights.

Here are some of the resulting igniters we made (some used raw nichrome wire
twisted around the leads, most used nichrome "chips"):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202115220562385&l=24d50dcd80

We even went outside afterwards and did some testing. :)

I was glad to have so much experience on the topic in the room while we were
actually dipping.  Bob even has a really cool "add on" recipe for what appears
to be the ability to turn any ematch IN to a very effective igniter (maybe
he'll share the details on list.. or flag him for the details).