[NRVR-Members] HPR glossary and useful safety & other docs

Thomas Tweeks Weeks tom at theweeks.org
Mon Oct 22 22:55:27 CDT 2018

There are a couple of members interested in hybrid motors.. Thought I think we've finally got enough people interested in APC mixing that we seen to be inching more in that direction currently.   Although there is some cool new stuff also happening in the hybrid motor space. With the addition of additive manufacturing (3D printed plastic fuel grains), they're able to make hybrid grains that were previously impossible:

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid-propellant_rocket#Additive_manufacturing ]( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid-propellant_rocket#Additive_manufacturing )

That being said.. I've been to a couple of hybrid only launches back in the day when I lived in Texas. It IS a lot of ground support.. too much if you ask me.  Handling bottles of oxygen and nitrous make me a little nervous too (there's a lot that can wrong). Here's some pics of Art Applewhite and I helping oversee a NASA sponsored launch just north of San Antonio back in 2007 that NASA and the state of Texas threw a lot of money at.
[ http://theweeks.org/rockets/2007-04_LAUNCH/ ]( http://theweeks.org/rockets/2007-04_LAUNCH/ )

Most rockets flown that day were around $2k each.. and none of them had a successful recovery.  I've never seen so much wasted hardware at one event.. all while the parents and teachers clapped and cheered.. it was like a dang fireworks show.

All that to say.. I don't have happy memories of watching people fly overpriced hybrid setups..  But as a rocket lover.. the technology is still pretty cool.. even though I still suffer flashbacks.. ;)

Tweeks