[NRV Rocketry] Questions about outfitting an avionics bay with power-safety flags

Mike Ficco mficco at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 6 19:40:56 CDT 2011

Hello Tweeks,

Personally I've always either used the voltage selector rotary switches you linked to, or used home-brewed screw switches.  I'd not feel terribly comfortable with audio jack switches because they are not designed to carry much current, and because you pretty much need the plug to change the state of the switch.  I've been in the situation where someone had recovered my rocket and I had to describe to them how to power down the electronics over the phone.  That would be difficult with an audio jack setup.

I'm also not a fan of linear "slide" switches because of the ease with which they can be accidentally actuated.  One must be very careful with mounting orientation to minimize the changes for an anomalous high acceleration event such as a cato or sudden change in AOA to actuate the switch.

Cheers,
Mike