[NRV Rocketry] Questions about outfitting an avionics bay with power-safety flags

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Jul 6 21:59:24 CDT 2011

On Wednesday, July 06, 2011 03:42:16 pm gus8 at vt.edu wrote:
> an E-bay is not required for level two certification. all you need is
> standard parachute recovery. the rule is that before attempting a L3
> certification you must fly a L2 rocket with an E-bay.
> check it out
> http://www.tripoli.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=KFR2HOyfPfo%3d&tabid=132

Yuppers.. forgot about that.

> Active recover just means a method
> that changes the configuration of the rocket. so the standard ejection
> charge on top of the motor separating the rocket counts.

Yes, that's right... I was thinking of my old mentor Art Applewhite's saucers
(from San Antonio). He's kind of an anti-3fin/4-fin guy who like creatively
side-stepping all the regs. His new "level-2 saucer" does it's "config change"
by flipping out a pirce of scrap fabric he calls his "Moustache" Active
Recovery Device. .. effectively "changing the configuration" for qualifying
for L2. :)
	http://www.artapplewhite.com/l2.html

I actually need to prepare my e-bay because running my Talon-3 through the
simulator with a J Pro38 puts it up around 3500 ft. Not something I want to
chase a couple of miles on a breezy day. ;)

> if i did it, which i have never done i am just getting started myself,
> i picked up a LOC vulcunite kit that can handle F-J so i can do my L1
> and L2 i i want,

Cool! This the one?
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/loc/locpk52.htm

Good looking 3-fin!

> i would go with the exterior switch, something small
> from radio shack that wont cause much drag.

Yes.. I may ned up doing that (or the rotating-leaf power supply (110/220)
power switches... but I was just trying to avoid any protrusions.. or a config
that would take a "special tool" to arm and disarm.

I was just wondering if anyone had any related "no-nos" such as the audio jack
based switch or not.

Tweeks