[NRV Rocketry] Website

Tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Mon May 16 10:37:00 CDT 2011

On Friday 13 May 2011, Chuck Neff wrote:
> Tweeks,
>
> If it's decided that another forum is not needed, we could easily set up a
> section on VAST's forum dedicated to NRVR.  The wiki sounds interesting but
> I don't know a lot about them.  Care to explain the differences between a
> forum and wiki?

Well Chuck, as you know.. forums are nice for thread based discussions around
a topics. But normally, if you want to be seen as an authority of a topic, or
have a place for public facing documents.. then you don't want all of your
group knowledge to have to be stuck in forums as it forces folks to have to
wade through years of forums (or mail list) posts to pick out the useful
nuggets of information.

So in addition to forums, a wikis create the place where your group's
documentation is kept and maintained.  Compared to forums, wikis are great
because they represent a single repository for:
 * Your group's shared knowledge around an area (or multiple areas)
 * wikis creates a browsable tree of topical knowledge and documents
 * As group wiki ownership increases, contribution & correctness increases
 * Information is easily cross linked for nice, click through browsing
   on topics
 * Wiki's are used (by some) for project related pages
   (e.g. documented rocket builds, plans, schematics, etc)
 * Can be used for centralized launch logs for your individual members

There are also challenges to maintaining a public facing wiki. but combined
and managed along side a forum, it's a powerful tool that gives your group
much more "destination appeal" and a very squared away feel (as opposed to
forums alone).

Various popular wiki suites include:
	* MediaWiki (what Wikipedia uses, PHP/MySQL back end)
	* Dokuwiki (http://www.dokuwiki.org/ PHP/flatfile wiki I'm looking at using)
	* MoinMoin (a Python based popular wiki http://moinmo.in/)

Other comments/thoughts?

Tweeks