[NRV Rocketry] Fiberglassing HP Rockets: Good Videos, Tips or Tricks (for body tubes and nose cones?)

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Dec 31 20:14:22 CST 2012

<tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org>wrote:
> > **
> >
> > First, why do people use fiberglass on the body tubes on high power
> > rockets?
>
> Main reason is to create a stronger airframe, Under extreme G loads,
> cardboard can buckle and even fold over. Another advantage is that the
> tubes won't ding or crush during transport and it makes it easier to get a
> smooth finish - without spiral seams.
>
> I built my workbench with drawers that are 50" apart so i can but a rod or
> even a rail segment between them and glass a tube.  In the past I build a
> rotisserie and still have the motor, gears, belt, pillow blocks, etc.  I
> made the frame out of 2X6 but would like to get some 80/20 aluminum to make
> one with.  I only used it for adding a finish layer of epoxy and preventing
> drips.
>
> I've only used West Systems or other higher quality/non hobby shop epoxy.
> I haven't looked for a local source but I know severaql places to get good
> quality epoxy at a good price.
>
> West Systems calls for acetone for diluting epoxy and that's what I've used
> in the past.  I've also never tried to glass tubes less than 3" so you done
> good if you got a 2.56 tube glassed.  Biggest pain for me was getting the
> glass started straight.  I started using a thin strip of double sided
> tape.  This lets the glass get lined up straight and keeps it from moving.

I guess that might be easier then with small tubes. I lined up up and just
tacked it on with a few under brushes. Stuck on just fine. Then I flowed it
through the glass, smoothed out bumps and blobs, chased out the bubbles and
wrinkles. Except of the premature gelling (that I stopped with an alcohol
rub), it went pretty well.

> Weight of glass depends on what you are glassing the larger the tube the
> heaver the glass.
[trimmed out all the great tips]

If you have sources for the fiberglass and epoxies you use.. please let me
(and others here) know!

Which reminds me.. A couple of people asked me about a set of "links" that we
should keep on the website. If you have a few, throw them my way and I'll add
them to the site. That goes for anyone else.. Have a favorite place to get
rocket supplies? Send me a link and what you use them for and I'll add them to
the website.

Great tips Bob! Wow... I guess I need to get that Wiki up! :)