[NRV Rocketry] Launch Report, and more big launches coming up!

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sat Jul 28 00:18:16 CDT 2012

Just wanted to give you all a little heads up about some upcoming launches, as
well as give a small report on the new Sinkland Farms launch site.

Finally!! More High Power Launches!
====================================
Well, we haven't been completely lazy this summer.  We've been working on
getting us a new launch site worked out, as well as building relationships
with Kentland Farms and VAST.  So it appears that we have a couple of BIG
launches coming up here soon.  One launch will definitely be at the big
Sinkland Farms Pumpkin Festival grand opening bash on September 29th:
	http://www.sinklandfarms.com/pumpkinfestival.html

and the details with the upcoming Kentland launch are still forming.

So stay tuned!

First Sinkland Farms Launch Report:
=====================================
So our first Sinkland launch on Sat, July 21st went really well. It's a small,
but super beautiful property!
	http://nrvr.org/pics/bob-sinkland_m.JPG

The property owner, Ms. Sink, was very amiable to having us out for this small
demo-launch... partially in an effort to get the details worked out for a much
larger, public HP launch on her property for the afore mentioned Pumpkin
Festival season opening bash on Sept. 29th.

But this past Saturday we had a small group of rocketeers show up -- Some old
timers and some new faces too! We probably only had between 10-20 people come
through, and around 15-20 launches total, but it was a really fun, slow paced
and intimate event. We got some great pictures and video, and worked the
details for how we want to organize the big upcoming launch there. We really
got to know Ms. Sink (the owner), and even got to shake hands with some of the
surrounding property owners. Good times. Here's a shot of the core organizers:
	http://nrvr.org/pics/NRVR-guys_m.JPG

We had maybe 3-4 medium power launches (G was the max motor size for the day),
and quite a few small/model launches, had some active young launchers come
out:
	http://nrvr.org/pics/rocket-girl_m.JPG

and had one medium power blow out... The blow out was not CATO mind you, but
we think that a 29-to-38mm adapter fell apart during this bigger class-1
launch (on Charles' 4" rocket) resulting in a canted motor launch that never
cleared 20 feet. Nothing too serious.  Just a few startled attendees, and a
charred motor mount:
	http://nrvr.org/pics/canted_m.JPG
	http://nrvr.org/pics/burned-ring_m.JPG

Good luck with the repairs Charles! We would love to hear more about what you
find out about that motor adapter failure!

Going forward, we're still working out the insurance and various stipulations
for the big (hopefully class-2/high power) September launch at Sinkland, so
stay tuned! We'll send out more info as it becomes available.
:)

Tweeks
NRV Rocketry Founder and Officer