[NRV Rocketry] Local sources for rocket supplies?

Tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Fri Jun 29 16:40:25 CDT 2012

On Friday 29 June 2012, Charles Albright wrote:
> Good day to everyone.
>
> I'm doing some planning for a Level 2 certification attempt I hope to make
> this fall. I have a few questions.
>
> 1. Is there a local retail source for Aerotech RMS motor hardware and
> reload kits? (I expect the answer is "no")

Vendor? none that I know of.. But several people in the group can probably
help you out there (Bob?).  What diameter and grains are you looking for?

> 2. I'm aware of a number of Internet sources for the above. Any
> recommendations?

I use all cesaroni and order my stuff mainly from Apogee:
	http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors
There are probably cheaper places around, but I really love their customer
support (it's top notch!), they have a GREAT inventory, and I love their
advocacy for the sport.

> 3. I'm also aware of The Dragon's Hoard store (in Staunton, VA) which has a
> discount relationship with VAST members. But what are the logistics of
> getting motors from there to here?

Chuck may be able to talk to that a bit.. Chuck?

> 4. For ejection charge purposes, can black powder (4F, I presume) be
> purchased here locally? If not, then where? Are there any regulatory
> problems to overcome? Are there reliable alternatives to 4F black powder?

I couldn't find 4f either. I guess it's starting to get harder and harder to
find.  I got a tin of 3F at the local feed store on N.Main st though:
	http://goo.gl/maps/MKfP