[NRV Rocketry] REFRESH: Interested in medium-high power rocketry, or getting L1 certified?

Tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 29 17:00:14 CDT 2012

I just had someone ask me (off list) about getting into the high power side of
rocketry, and it seems the links I sent out 5-8 months ago have now expired,
so just I went out and refreshed them all below for you all.

For those wanting to really dig and and learn more about High Power Rocketry,
check out these useful High Power/Level-1 videos:

	Intro to Level 1 Certification Rockets
	http://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_60

	Building Your First High Power Rocket - Part 1
	http://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_61

If you're thinking about certification though, you'll first need to join
either the TRA or NAR:
	TRA: http://www.tripoli.org/LinkClick.aspx?link=77&tabid=38
	NAR: http://www.nar.org/NARjoin.html

Medium-High Power:
If you don't want to get certified JUST yet, but DO want to start getting into
medium power, with maybe high power in your future -- then pick yourself up a
good starter rocket with a 29mm motor mount that will let you fly with F, G
and later H motors (for certification flights):
http://www.rocketreviews.com/madcow-rocketry-honest-john-fiberglass-by-tim-doll.html
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Blue_Phenix_Jr._Rocket_Kit
http://www.rocketreviews.com/locprecision-onyx--by-alex-jordan.html
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Little_John
(28mm or 29mm w/adapter)
And you'll be on your way to HP Rocket certification!

*NOTE: Getting something that flies on both F/G and H motors will allow you to
fly it all you want with readily available F/G motors that you can buy
yourself from the local hobby store, and then when you're ready to "certify"
Level-1, come to an NRVR launch and one of the NRVR/TRA officers can help you
fill out your certification paper work and get your your first HP H-level
motor to certify on (just give us advance notice: rso at nrvr.org) and you'll
be on your way into the world of certified High Power Rocketry!

And as always, if you have a question there are some really smart, old school
rocket guys on this list.  And chances are, if you have a question, there's
probably 3-4 other people on the list wondering the same thing, so ask away!

Tweeks
NRVR Founder