[NRV Rocketry] LADEE Question (for VT Aerospace guys?)

Brandon Smith brands14 at vt.edu
Sun Sep 8 00:45:58 CDT 2013

Definitely not an expert, but here's my attempt since you included VT Aerospace guys in general. :-)

I can't speak for solid boosters, but on the liquids I've interacted with there are hydraulic struts (controlled with some of either the LOx or the RP-1 fuel in that case, can't remember which one) to gimbal the engine; I'd imagine something vaguely similar with a solid nozzle, just shoving it around here and there. Although obviously they wouldn't be able to rely on fuel to operate it...

As for varying thrust, you're right that solids are either "on or off," but from what I understand the internal "shape" of the solid fuel can be varied to alter burn rates--sounds like they did this in the Space Shuttle SRBs to account for different loading cases along the flight profile. Something about 11-point stars and truncated cones... See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Solid_Rocket_Booster#Propellant

Anyway, just my 2 cents... Anyone else feel free to chime in with more accurate/correct details.

Brandon Smith

Sent from my mobile. Please forgive any typos.