[NRV Rocketry] Suggestions for good L2/L3 Rockets?

james desposito jdesposito69 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 12 12:55:14 CDT 2014

NO it can be a kit

From: maier.chris at gmail.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 08:58:07 -0500
To: nrvr at nrvr.org
CC: tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org; nrvr at nrvr.org
Subject: Re: [NRV Rocketry] Suggestions for good L2/L3 Rockets?

Go motor mount-less.  Fixing a motor mount tube in large airframes proves inflexible if you happen to attend an LDRS or big waiver type of launch.  You end up having to build another purpose but rocket instead of just swapping in a 98mm motor.
I would recommend against any cluster that lacks a central motor capable of lifting the rocket solo for a cert flight - too much could go wrong for a cert flight, and the highest priority is safety when launching the larger L3 type rockets as well.  Air start your clusters to minimize issues and provide better distance between the rocket and spectators in case there is an issue like one of the motors doesn't light or come up to pressure at the same time as the others.
Don't the rules still specify an L3 project has to be scratch built?
Chris
On Jul 12, 2014, at 7:23, james desposito <jdesposito69 at hotmail.com> wrote:

After a lot of homework and building a 5'' Big Nuke kit from Loc for my level 3 i found out it is going to hit a altitude of
over 10,200 feet and not to many places to fly. know I''m thinking more toured a 7.67'' rocket like the  Bruiser-EXP - 3" from Loc that will stay under 10,000 feet with the smallest M. You have a better chance of keeping your rocket with an 8'' just my opinion. jimmy d