[NRVR-Members] Outreach opportunities in February and March.
bob.schoner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:41:52 CST 2015
I have a lot of information to cover but there may be some free rocket
motors in it for you so please read this whole email.
We have an opportunity to help out with Virginia Tech's Kids Tech
University on Feb 21. This will be a big event - we are helping to build
400 model rockets! Not a typo, yes, 400 model rockets. There is also an
opportunity to have a display showcasing New River Valley Rocketry for this
Some more details:
- the students will be middle and high school students from across Virginia
- there will be 50 VT students helping the kids to build their rockets.
- the rockets kits are really nice Apprentice kits from Apogee
- we could use some help instructing the VT student helpers (mostly EE
- Ivan Galeish, founder of Battle of the Rockets and Federation of
Galactic Explorers will be speaking to the kids and there will be an
opportunity for NRVR to give a short 5 minute presentation.
How you can help:
- need anyone who is interested in helping to come to a meeting this
coming *Friday, Feb. 20th at 6 pm** at VBI* (numbers 119 and 120 on a VT
Campus map, no parking passes are needed). Please RSVP to me so I know how
many NRVR members to order food for.
- I may also need a few rockets representing NRVR just to let folks know a
little more about us.
- I want to work on a 1/2 page handout and some posters for the Saturday
event so if you are interested in helping, let me know.
- we also need help the following *Saturday, Feb 21 from about 12 pm to 4
pm at Cassell Coliseum *to help man a booth for NRVR. We could have
demonstrations and handouts with NRVR information and answer questions from
students and their parents.
- also on Saturday 2/21 we will be helping students build rockets. All
the supplies will be provided and these kits have sturdy plastic fin cans.
The most challenging part will be the gluing of the shock cord into the
body tube, so this can be messy.
We will be launching these rockets at Kentland Farms on *Saturday March 21
at Kentland Farms *and will have a lot of VT students helping there too.
The students will come in 2 separate groups of about 200 students and their
parents. We also want to show them at least 1 or 2 demo flights that will
get them really excited. For these flights:
- only rockets that have previously flown successfully will be flown
- limit is K impulse so we don't have to move spectators past 200 feet
- there are limited funds from Dr Kristy Collins and VBI to pay for demo
motors. Let me know if you are interested, what rocket you intend to fly ,
approximate altitude and desired motor.
I'm sure I forgot something so please add or correct as needed Kristy.
Thanks and don't forget about our *first NRVR launch of 2015 on Saturday
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NRVR-Members