[NRVR-Members] EggTimer Soldering Workshop @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 3pm - 6pm (EST) reminder

Weeks, Thomas t.weeks at vt.edu
Tue Jan 22 10:59:28 CST 2019

Perfect timing Jordan.

A couple of you got yourself new soldering irons, but were concerned with the size of the stock "garage hobby" tips (too big for SMT).  There just enough time (with Amazon two day shipping) to get whatever tips you need.  I think Jordan was recommending a fine tip pencil tip (conical) or small chisel tip (~1mm or so).  I too like a 0.7 - 1.0 mm chisel (or "screw driver" tip, as Weller calls them) tip.  You have just enough time (an amazon two day shipping) to get whatever you need.

And +1 agree on the importance of having:

-fine tweezers  (I'll have a couple extra pair with me)

-good light *

-good magnifier*

-way to hold your work and small parts*

-extension cord

* - In a pinch.. Harbor Freight a lot of this stuff:

https://www.harborfreight.com/jumbo-helping-hands-with-led-lights-65779.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/desktop-magnifying-lamp-60642.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-fine-point-tweezer-set-93598.html

We will also have wifi access.. but agree with Jordan that having a print out you can quickly flip through (and check off the stages of your work) is important.

And just to prove that it can be done.. I tackled three of these kits this weekend and was able to finish them all:

Pics & Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/r4uTS3S5GSjmYGnz7

T.Weeks
p.s. Jordan.. on the iron power, I found that 15W wasn't enough (with small fine tips) for a couple of those ground plane soldering points in these kits. A couple of times I had to turn up the temp/power to get the solder flowing without burning up the part.  Though we should have enough irons there.. that anyone with problems we can help.