[NRV Rocketry] Kentland farms update

Tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Mon Aug 15 15:13:10 CDT 2011

[Mark, I'm moving this thread over to the NRVR mail list.. ;) ]

This is a useful discussion that me and one of the VAST rocket guys are having
about the maiden flight of my Talon-3, and what I should launch it on (a 29mm
H motor, or my 38mm motor casing with an *I* impulse motor):
	http://theweeks.org/rockets/TALON-3/Talon-3_m.JPG

On Monday 15 August 2011, Mark Miller wrote:
> Of course, it's ultimately your call since it's your bird.  I just wanted
> you to know that H motors in [your talon-3] rocket are doable.  As long as
> it passes  RSO muster (as far as motor goes it's normally based on a minimum
> of 5:1 thrust-to-weight ratio) you are literally good to to go.

I'm still learning here.. but I was considering the 5:1 thrust to weight ratio
when asking my question about which motor to use.

My thinkinf was that with a 6lb loaded bird  (call it 8 with a 2lb motor) will
need to clear an average thrust of around 176 N.. right? (8lb * 4.4N/lb *
5:1 ) Unless I just punch it with a VMax or the like (really high initial
thrust to get it to stable flight)...

VMax excluded... doesn't that point to an I motor?

> It looks like we will be flying in some type of crop regardless of whether
> it's corn or the remaining silage, so I would suggest either some type of
> tracking device or at the very least an audio beacon to aid in recovery.

Yeah.. I have a 120dB alarm that I've been saving for something like this. :)