[NRV Rocketry] Local sources for rocket supplies?

Bob Schoner bob.schoner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:43:40 CDT 2012

Charles,

Good questions.  I'll tell you what I know.

1) Local as in within 50 miles of Blacksburg - no.  There are many
reputable vendors out there.  I have used Wildman and Wildman Virginia
(Kevin Dunn).  I try to support Kevin since he has come to our last 2
launches at Kentland Farm.  Order ahead of time and he will bring stuff to
our launch if he is coming.

2) Other options are from vendors on the internet.  I don't know of any
vendors that have a bad reputation. I have user Red Arrow hobbies, Wildman,
Performance Hobbies, Apogee, all with excellent results.

3) Harry at Dragons Hoarde gives 10% off VAST members and has been to some
launches at Kentland. I think if you order ahead of time and can coordinate
with Chuck or someone else coming down from that area they can bring your
stuff.  I am not sure if either Harry or Kevin will be coming to the Sept
launch, but Kevin was interested in coming.  The dates are still TBD, based
on crops, and I suppose on fire danger.

4) I have never been able to purchase 4f BP locally in Florida, North
Carolina or Virginia.  There was a time when dealers like Performance
Hobbies have carried it.  I bought 1 pound of 4f that lasted me about 10
years.  Dealers both in firearms and rocketry, have gotten very skittish
about selling black powder and most don't even carry it.  Technically you
must own an antique firearm to purchase BP, as that is the only 'legal' use
for it in 3 or 4f. I've thought of buying a BP pistol just for that reason,
but I'm still not sure if I can buy BP in any of the sporting good stores.

A while ago someone posted a link for buying black powder online with a
minimum 5 pound purchase.  I'll have to look up that reference.I have a can
of 3f but never used it.  I don't think the burn rate will be that
noticeable, but the larger particles will burn longer.  My main concern
would be to make sure I have good wadding and nomex protection so that I
don't have any still burning BP particles getting close to my nylon
parachute.  There are people who use Pyrodex, but I am not familiar with
it's use or properties so I stick with BP.  We will make sure you have some
if you need it until you can secure some.

Regards,

Bob