[NRV Rocketry] Night Time Rocket Launch at Sinkland Farms, Oct 27th

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sat Oct 20 16:16:26 CDT 2012

So how are YOU going to "Light the Night" with you rocket?

Since we have a week between now and the night launch, some of you might want
to take the time to prepare your rocket for night flight.

How does one do this?
(Bob/others.. please feel free to interject any of your night launch tips
too!)

Well the main thing with night launches is that we require that the rocket be
visible for the full duration of the rocket's flight (required by our safety
code).  This means that some form of visible external or internal lighting
(LED usually) be added that can be seen.

Some people used glow sticks back in the day, but that will only really be
safe on the outside fuselage on medium-to-large medium power rockets (F-G).
Also in the old days we used things like Xenon strobe circuits and the like.
But now days things are much more simple (and safe).  I've picked up a few
packages of these ready made LED "finger lights" from the Target $1 isle:
	http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LAGZY

For most of our medium sized rocket flights, you just turn it on, tape it on
at the rocket's CG point and go! Even cooler, shove one into a nosecone and
check this out!
	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TBRsmC8z4
	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A07zcswVsAk

As you can see... Lots of fun! :)

For smaller sized rockets we can also make our own lighter/thinner LED light
with nothing more than a single CR2032 lithium cell and one LED -- even more
slim and light than the finger lights. I have some extra LEDs if someone wants
to bring some CR2032 button-cells.

So how are YOU going to "Light the Night" with you rocket?

BTW.. If you have cameras.. bring'em. Time lapse night launch shots are really
cool too!

Tweeks