[NRV Rocketry] Rocketry hardware source

Charles Albright calbright at radiantse.com
Wed Jan 9 18:01:05 CST 2013

Bob,

Likewise, it seems I'm frequently in need of hard to find items for my
rocketry, microcontroller, and general electronics activities, items often
just not available in obvious or nearby places.

Here are some examples of things I located after some searching. Lowe's and
Home Depot have had some things I needed but generally the following were
better sources.

Closed eyebolts (stronger than "bent around" eyebolts that have that small
opening at the base)
-----Fastenal and McMaster-Carr  http://www.mcmaster.com

Very small hardware (4-40 and 2-56), steel and 2-56 nylon (from
McMaster-Carr, I used for shear pins)
-----Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Heavener Hardware, even Radio Shack sells some
2-56 machine screws

Nylon insert hex locknuts, threaded rod ("all-thread"), both for ebays; and
quick links
-----McMaster-Carr, Heavener Hardware

Hobby wood (basswood, plywood) products I used for electronic bay
construction (e.g. sleds)
-----Adventure Hobbies, Michaels, and Mish Mish (big selection)
-----Note: be sure to check out Mish Mish in Blacksburg; a great art supply
store with a number of tools and supplies applicable to rocketry (wood,
brass strips, X-Acto knife accessories, crepe paper which -by law- is flame
resistant and can be used to help protect recovery parts - try it, it works)

Hard to find cylindrical, nylon-bristle bottle brush, for cleaning inside
motor casings
-----Heavener Hardware

4F black powder for ejection charges
-----Miller's Gun Shop, 1865 S. Franklin St., Christiansburg

My two favorite sources for electronics parts, both Internet:
-----Mouser Electronics http://www.mouser.com/ ,  Jameco Electronics
http://www.jameco.com

In my electronics projects, I use Microchip PIC24 (16-bit) microcontrollers
because of their great documentation and fantastic free development software
support (C compilers included). And when I need a new microcontroller, I go
to the Microchip website and request a free sample or two. It's totally
automated, they have never refused, and shipping has been free so far.
http://www.microchip.com/

Charley