[NRV Rocketry] Really cool Arduino Programming Class with "Let's Code Blacksburg" for just $10!

tweeks tweeks at rackspace.com
Fri Oct 4 10:16:14 CDT 2013

On Friday 04 October 2013, Pat Artis wrote:
> Hi
>
> One of the most interesting problem with coding for the Arduino is the
> virtualization of the serial port to manage multiple sensors.

If I understand the specific problem you're referring to (the sharing of the
serial lines with the USB port as a virtual HID (keyboard/mouse I/O device))
-- then yeah, that problem crept up in newer versions of the Uno and newer
firmware systems. I thought they fixed it.. But if you're wanting to do
multiple sensors, I prefer using raw analog or digital I/O lines for taking
real time analog readings (unless you need a bus addressable system like
RS-422 or i2c).  Even using a serial LCD can pose problems (on older Uno
versions) if you're not careful.

> Terry Kingery
> is a senior in Aero and she did the programming for the SLI team two years
> ago. Unfortunately, someone hot glued the board before launch and killed
> the whole thing.

As for hot glue, I've never had a problem and use hot glue with all my
arduinos. It's a pretty robust system.  However, depending on the humidity and
time of the year, chances are higher that the system may have experienced a
high voltage ESD (static) shock than hot glue hurting the chips. This is
especially a higher risk for those not used to handling raw electronic
components and dealing with ESD precautions.  I should probably include some
training on this in my Arduino class now that I think about it.

Tweeks