[NRV Rocketry] What is a Low vs Medium vs High Power rocket?

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Sep 9 23:37:17 CDT 2013

After sending out the launch announcements for low/medium power or "class-1"
launches, someone just asked me:

>  Tweeks, How do you define "medium power" rockets?

Good question!
(please ask such questions on the public list! :)

Medium power is not an official designation, but is usually considered "larger
than model" rockets, that fly on E, F or G motors, but weigh less that "high
power" (class-2, or being less 3.3lbs and/or up to 125grams total of
propellant). Medium power is still considered "Class-1" by the FAA (same class
as model rockets) and so does not require a waiver or TRA/NAR certification to
fly.

But in general, "medium power" rockets use F-G size motors (or H with less
than 125grams of propellant), and is a rocket weighing less than 3.3lbs.
Anything MORE than that requires and FAA waiver and usually falls into the
high power (or class-2) category.

Here's a nice clean over view of the categories, and the implications that go
with each:
	http://www.rocketcentral.org/

or a more technical guide of class-1 (low and medium power) vs class-2 (high
power) rockets:
	http://www.nar.org/cabinet/waiverinst.html

Actually looking at class-1/medium power rockets, here's an example of one of
the larger medium power rockets you can fly (just under 3.3lbs fully loaded):
	http://nrvr.org/pics/rocket-girl_m.JPG

It is large, but still sports model-type features:
-card board tube
-plastic fins
-elastic shock cord
-under 3 lbs

Where the smallest of the "High Power" rockets will typically fly on an H,
like this one:
	http://www.madcowrocketry.com/Super_DX3_Rocket_p/k-129.htm

A HP rocket may look same size as a large medium power rocket, but will
typically use:
-beefier construction
-uses hardwood or fiberglass/G10/carbon-fiber "thru-tube" mounted fins
-use tubular nylon or Kevlar shock cords
-use H, I or larger motors
-be heavier (over 3.3lbs loaded)

Does this help a bit?

For folks in our group just getting started in medium/high-power, and because
we have both class-1 (model/medium power) and class-2 (high power) launches --
I like to recommend investing in a rocket that can fly on both G and H motors
(with either a 29mm or 38mm motor mounts). That way you can get used to flying
medium power and work your way up to, and certify Level-1 with the same
rocket.  Here are a couple that can be flown as medium OR high power:
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Hi-Tech
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Sumo

Tweeks
p.s. I'm really tired.. so if I missed anything.. plz.. one of you members pop
in. :)