[NRV Rocketry] [NRVR-Launches] Ready to Join NRV Rocketry in 2014? Come fly with us!

Bob Schoner bob.schoner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 20:08:32 CST 2014

Greetings fellow rocketeers.

This is my 4th attempt to compose an email to all the NRVR members.  My
last attempt was started while it was still 2013.  I intended to summarize
2013 and talk about some things on the horizon for 2014.

I also wanted to take time to thank everyone who helped in any way during
2013.  I'l briefly thank some folks and send other stuff like 2013 year in
review and my annual Best & Worst list soon.

*Thank you all*

It takes the efforts of many folks to create a safe and organized launch.
I thank everyone who helped no matter how small the effort.  A few people
that I want to recognize are:

Tom Weeks, a.k.a. Tweeks has maintained our website, sent out launch
announcements and other communications, served as unofficial photographer
and been a huge help in set up and tear down at launches. He also serves as
the club treasurer.

Kevin Shinpaugh is our club secretary and the NRVR liaison to Virginia Tech
Rocketry club.  Without Kevin we would not be able to meet at the Space
Building or have launches at Kentland Farms.  We would also not be treated
to the FPOD (Flying pyramid of death) with its spectacular ‘great balls of
fire’ launches.

Monta Elkins is the MacGuyver of NRVR.  He is a master fabricator and out
of the box thinker.  Monte provides great ideas and feedback to me and has
built launch pads and our cool PA system.

Jim Farley and his wife Keri are a huge help at launches and are also great
supporters of NRVR.  Jim also helped with several outreach events and his
help is greatly appreciated.

Jim Stoll has been a great supporter of NRVR and has come to launches just
to help set up or pack up.  His kids ooze with enthusiasm and keep our
launches fun.

There are many others that help make our launches safe and fun: Carlos
Zappata, Clif Reynolds, Jimmy Desposito are great fliers at our launches.
Charley Albright and Jordan Truesdale take rocketry to a whole ‘other level
with their innovative application of technology.  I really appreciate these
folks and thank them for their help and support.  Thanks to all who have
participated at our launches, meetings and outreach events this year.

*Looking forward in 2014*

I'll try to be brief and give everyone a quick update but I think 2014 will
be a great year for rocketry in the NRV.

Waivers:

I have finally gotten a waiver for Sinkland Farms and have been told I will
have the Kentland Farms waiver in my hands in the next 6 days.  This will
allow us to launch the bigger rockets.

A possible new launch site

Rocketeers are dependent on the land owners that allow us to fly from their
property.  While we have some great launch areas we are always on the look
out for a larger, flatter, better launch site.  Thanks to Jimmy Desposito,
we may have a great new launch site.  I will just say that this is still
being worked on and I will keep you all informed.  The site is
approximately 4,500 by 2,500 feet of flat, treeless land that is the best
launch site in Virginia that I have ever seen. And it is only 10 minutes
from I-81.  I'm requesting a waiver for this site and will keep you
updated.

Launch and meeting calendar

With the waivers in place I want to establish a consistent launch and
meeting schedule.  Looking at other VA launches on the first and second
weekends, we will hold launches on the 4th weekend of every month.  Not all
launch locations have been confirmed but we will hold a launch every 4th
Saturday.  Most of the people I've heard from have expressed that a single
day launch is preferred.  For now we will schedule Saturday only launches
with Sunday as a possible 'rain date'.  If we get the Wythville site I
would like to have 3-4 two day launches to make it easier for people from
NC and other locations to attend launches.  We'll adjust as needed.

Our meeting have been unpredictable and for that I apologize.  We have
decided to hold meetings on the 2nd Thursday of every month starting in
February.  We will send out more details in the next few weeks.

Lastly I have been a poor communicator to our members and followers.  I
will do better in 2014. Finally, our membership dues are all due in January
so please remember to renew so you can enjoy all that NRVR will offer in
2014.

I hope to see you at one of our launches or meetings soon.

Bob Schoner

NRVR Prefect