[NRV Rocketry] Questions About Getting Into High Power Rocketry

Thomas Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Oct 15 00:12:45 CDT 2014

Hey all..

With all the new folks on the list.. people are starting to ask again about
learning more about HP rocketry.. as well as how to move up into the hobby
from model rockets.

Before you can "get into" high power.. you need to first learn about the
certification process:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-
power_rocketry#Certification_in_the_USA_.26_Canada>

 and first need to join either high power organization, the TRA or NAR:
	TRA: http://www.tripoli.org/LinkClick.aspx?link=77&tabid=38
	NAR: http://www.nar.org/NARjoin.html
	(NRVR is a subsidiary of the TRA org)

After you're a card carrying member of NAR||TRA, and want to learn more about
the building and doing, here are some easy to watch videos I recommend from my
friends at Apogee Rockets:

Intro to Level 1 Certification Rockets
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_60

Building Your First High Power Rocket - Part 1
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Advanced_Construction_Videos/Rocketry_Video_61

Want more info? I always recommend this comprehensive book for some really
great bed time reading:
	"Modern High-Power Rocketry 2"
	http://www.amazon.com/dp/1412058104

As for what rockets to start off with, I recommend people start with a simple
rocket kit that can be flown as either uncertified medium power OR high power
(to certify on), like one of these:
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Hi-Tech
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Sumo
http://www.madcowrocketry.com/4-super-dx3/   <----really nice!

Now regarding motors... Some people start out with 29mm motors, but if you're
going to spend the money.. but only want to do it once, I recommend going
directly to 38mm motor casings.

NOTE:  Old estes A-C motors are 18mm, D-E are 24mm, 29mm is the first
traditional size that can reach into into HP (H impulse motors)) but 38mm can
take you from G all the way thru J (L2) motor impulse levels. With just a few
38mm motor casing lengths (and a few spacers), you can use the same motors
(and rockets) to fly from G, H-I (HP L1) and J (HP L2) motor impulses!

But before you order anything, feel free to ping us (or the mail list) for
questions. For example, you can get your first HP motor casing (for your cert
launch) for FREE (with you first HP motor purchase) if you tell them it's your
certification launch (saving you ~$30-$50 :)  Also.. if you order through one
of our motor vendors who can bring your motor to the field on launch day, that
can  save you another $25-30 on shipping + hazmat fees.

Speaking of motor casings.. there are various brands (several of which are not
compatible with each other, some which are much harder to load and clean).
Most of our club members know and love the Cesaroni ProXX line of motor
casings:
		http://tinyurl.com/pro38

If you're going to order one though.. order it from one of our HP motor
vendors who can get you a motor casing for your certification flight for free
AND deliver it for free:

http://cavemanchemistry.com/nez/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_79&products_id=282
https://performancehobbies.com/secure/store.aspx?groupid=32902113813170
(which ever vendor is coming to a specific launch)

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Tweeks
NRV Rocketry Founder

p.s. if you've chewed through all this and are still hungry for more, and want
to know the dos and don'ts and technical differences between low power (model)
rocketry and HP construction... here's my "firehose post" (as some here have
called it):
	http://nrvr.org/pipermail/nrvr/2013-August/000295.html