[NRV Rocketry] Santa and Rockets?

Charles Albright calbright at radiantse.com
Sat Dec 15 15:46:36 CST 2012

Hi Tom,

I hope Santa is kind to you, and I think the LOC Precision Hi-Tech rocket
would be a great rocket to own, and fun to fly. For all the reasons you
mention, it would be a versatile rocket good for various launch locations.

I'm an avid fan of LOC rocket kits having built and flown three of them: the
Forte, the Fantom (for Level 1), and the HyperLOC 835 (for Level 2). I think
they are good kits which is why I'm considering buying a fourth one this
winter.

However, to any readers who may use your link to read about the Hi-Tech kit
on the Apogee Rockets website, I say do not believe all you read. I must
take issue with some of the misleading sales hyperbole that Tim Van Milligan
writes there. Some examples:

Quote: ".plywood fins on a lot of other manufacturers' mid and high power
kits are laser cut and are burned on the edges. You can go to life drawing
and use them as your charcoal sticks. Not LOC kits. These fins are clean,
mean, and ready to scream right out of the bag."

Comment: of the three kits I've purchased, two had clean fins, but one (the
HyperLOC 835) had fins with the burnt and sooty edges he describes. They
needed a lot of cleaning and sanding.

Quote: "The main body is slotted, and they're clean slots with no hanging
chads. The fins fit perfectly, not like some kits, where the body shape
bulges around the fins because they fit too tight."

Comment: Yes, they are slotted, but don't count on perfection. The Forte, a
four-fin rocket, came with mis-positioned slots, not 90-degrees apart as
they should have been. I had to do some time-consuming filling and recutting
to get the positions correct.

Quote: "The centering rings fit as they should around the motor mount and
into the body. No sanding needed."

Comment: pure nonsense. All centering rings I have received from LOC have
needed sanding to fit properly, and that is as it should be. All
manufacturing has to deal with tolerances and no process is perfect. It's
better to err on the large side. You don't want those rings being too small
to start with, being therefore useless.

Quote: "Designed to finish in one evening, it's a fast build."

Comment: not if you care about a quality result. Take your time. Remember
the cliché "haste makes waste." Read the directions several times before you
start. Also if you're heading toward high power always use epoxy glue. I
advise using the slow 30-minute cure variety. It's more forgiving, allowing
more time to get parts into the right position before the glue sets. And it
provides a stronger bond than the fast-cure epoxies (and doesn't smell as
bad as some of them).

Obviously, Tom, my comments are not addressed to an experienced rocketeer
such as yourself, but are meant for those just beginning to consider more
advanced rockets. So, in conclusion, let me say again that I like LOC
Precision products, which is why I don't like it when people (such as Tim
Van Milligan in this case) over-promise what the buyer should expect from
the kits. However, I encourage everyone to try a LOC kit. I've always found
building and flying them to be a rewarding experience.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Charley